Monday, September 14, 2009

Timex Men's Ironman 30-Lap Shock Resistant FLIX System Watch #T5F821


I purchased this watch after my previous Timex Ironman took a few too many lickings. It still works, but the face and buttons, which were constructed of plastic and glued on, eventually wore out, and the strap had already been replaced once. Therefore, I wanted a better built watch that retained the same functionality. After looking several pages of watches on Amazon and elsewhere, this one caught my eye because of its use of metal, shock resistance, the red button (really), and use of actual screws to retain the face plate. I figured the velcro strap affixed to a strong synthetic fabric would be long-lasting.

My impression in the two months that I've used it is an overall positive one, but let me elaborate. The construction is indeed sturdy. The strap, which attaches through a loop on the top-end of the watch wraps back on itself. It has never come loose and is easy to reposition. It is also fairly easy to attached with the other hand. The face is constructed of tough, slightly rubberized plastic that envelops the perimeter of the watch body as seen in the picture. Three sections (top, left, right) also protrude outward to provide protection to the metal, but only by about a millimeter, so it does not get caught on things. The metal portion is quite stylish and has a reflective polish on the inside rim that protects the glass. As it moves outward, it maintains a brushed finish. The entire plastic perimeter and strap appear to be adhered permanently and screwed onto the face. I am not certain, but a replacement strap might include the entire plastic section. That said, it seems unlikely that it would come loose anytime soon. It feels heavy when worn and juts out 0.625" from the wrist. The width is approximately 1.75".

The display is easy to read in both light and dark (with Indiglo). The buttons are take some effort to depress, but you won't hit them accidentally. I won't go into all the functionality, as it is explained in the description, but it does appear to do everything listed. I do appreciate being able to "turn off" features like one or all of the alarms or occasion alarm from the display cycle if I don't need them. I haven't really needed to use the FLIX feature, which allows you to flick your wrist to activate the light, but it also works well.

I have just one negative point: the velcro strap tends to rub against my shirt cuff. This is problematic with sweaters and knit material because it will unravel the ends. If there were some way to create a barrier between the strap and cuff, that didn't look silly (I tried tape) I would consider it. But if not for this, I would give the watch five stars. Buy Timex Men's Ironman 30-Lap Shock Resistant FLIX System Watch #T5F821!

No comments:

Post a Comment